Consumer Unit & Fuse Board Replacement in Liverpool

Are you worried that the fuse board in your property is old and no longer compliant with British regulations?  Is it time to replace it with a modern consumer unit?  How long is it going to take and how much will it cost?

Read on and you’ll find out all the answers to these questions including what is involved in the replacement process so you can make the right choice for your property.

Why Choose Us For Your Consumer Unit Replacement?

We understand that your project may come with a strict timeframe.  Which is why all work is completed within the given deadline to keep your project on track.

All of our electricians are fully insured, NICEIC approved and DBS checked so you can be assured that you, and your property are in safe hands.

We believe in providing a Friendly, Reliable Service With Quality & Safety as Standard, making sure that no hidden fees creep up and you are kept updated at all times.

What's the Difference Between a Fuse Board and an Electrical Consumer Unit?

A fuse box and a consumer unit serve the same purpose. They distribute electricity in your property through multiple circuits and instantly turn the power off whenever a power overload occurs on one of the circuits, which is commonly known as “tripping”.

When “tripping” occurs, a consumer unit will switch the power off using the circuit breaker linked to the overloaded circuit. It will turn itself to the position OFF making the faulty circuit easily identifiable. Once the circuit is fixed, the circuit breaker can be switched back on and the power restored.

A fuse box uses fuses instead of circuit breakers. Each fuse contains a wire which will melt if there is an electrical overload and make the circuit trip and switch the power off.

It is not as easy to identify a faulty circuit when using a fuse box and the, now melted fuse, will need to be replaced before the power can be restored. Consumer units are basically the modern and safer version of fuse boxes which in most cases are no longer compliant with current electrical regulations. If your house is fitted with an old fuse box, it might be time to for you to replace it.

Get a FREE Quote for Your Consumer Unit Replacement

Consumer Unit

STF Electrical Ltd specialise in both the repair and replacement of consumer units.

Replacement is usually recommended if your property still has a plastic unit.  While plastic units are not illegal, modern metal clad is considerably safer in terms of fire safety.  This is because metal clad consumer unit will contain any fires arising from a loose connection inside (if  properly installed).

Before undertaking a consumer unit upgrade one of our fully insured, NICEIC approved electricians will carry out a thorough inspection.  This inspection will make sure your existing circuits have no underlying faults that may cause the new consumer unit to trip.

All of our consumer units have full RCBO protection (as apposed to split RCD boards).  This means that in the event of a fault you will only loose one circuit, as apposed to several.

We also incorporate Surge Protection Devices as standard on all of our installs.  These devices protect the electrical equipment you plug into your installation from any incoming power surges.

How do I Know if I Have an Old Fuse Board?

It’s very easy to tell if you have an old-style fuse box or a more modern consumer unit. An old-style fuse box will have a series of fuses contained inside fuse carrier which you can manually remove and replace when one of them goes off following a power overload.  

The issue with a fuse box is the lack of RCD protection (needed for almost all circuits in a domestic property) and the fact that fuse wire can, and often is, replaced with the wrong size (see picture of a call-out we attended after a catastrophic failure of a fuse board due to incorrect fuse wire being inserted).

A consumer unit, however, will have what is known as MCBs (Mini circuit breakers). Each MCB will have a switch which can go off in case of an electrical fault.


Electric installation such as the replacement of a fuse box should be done by qualified individuals who are able to issue a certificate for the installation in accordance with Building regulations. In this instance a qualified electrician is your best option.

According to regulation, gas pipes and gas meter in domestic houses, must be spaced at least 150mm from electricity meters, switchboards, electric cables, sockets, telecommunication cables, consumer units and any other conductors. Additionally, there should be a separation between a supply or distribution cable of at least 25mm for domestic pipework up to 35mm or 50mm for pipework over 35mm.

The time it takes to replace a fuse box may vary on the size of the property as well as the condition of the existing wiring. A typical replacement generally takes around half a day.

The location of where your consumer unit should be installed is often overlooked. Since they are not considered as a feature of a house, consumer units are frequently hidden away in some dark place in a house. Consumer units should be located so they can easily be reached whenever it is necessary so it is in compliance with Part M of the building regulations. They should be mounted with the switches at a height of between 0.45m & 1.2m above floor level.

According to regulations, electrical equipment should not be present in shower rooms or bathroom. This includes simple equipment such as wall switches, plugs and especially consumer units.

Yes in many cases a new consumer unit can be wired to older wiring.  Our fully insured, NICEIC approved electrician will test any existing cables before undertaking the work to check that they are adequate.